Study In Japan: 2022 Honjo International Foundation Scholarships for International Students
The 2022 Honjo International Scholarship Foundation offers scholarships for international students willing to study in a Japanese graduate institution for session.
Studying in Japan is actually relatively affordable, especially when compared with those in the US and the UK. The Hinjo Foundation provides an opportunity for foreign students to obtain quality graduate degrees in Japanese universities.
The application for the graduate programmes of Hinjo foundation can be submitted in both Japanese and English languages, hence international students with sound proficiency in English language are eligible to apply. Applicants may directly apply to the foundation without pre-selection by the university.
- Host Country: Japan
- Study Abroad: Study in Asia
- Category: Postgraduate Scholarships | Masters Scholarships | PhD Scholarships
- Eligible Countries: All Countries
- Reward: ¥2,400,000 annual grant
- Deadline: April 30, 2022
The Honjo International scholarship foundation is open to foreign students who study or plan to study in Japanese graduate school for doctoral or master’s degree.
The scholarship award comes with full funding and monthly stipends up to ¥200,000 throughout the period of the Masters or Doctoral scholarship. More details here
To be considered for the scholarship, you must:
- Be an international student
- be enrolled as of September 2022 or currently applying for the academic course starting from September 2022 at a graduate school in Japan. Those who are already
enrolled and those who are not enrolled yet (including people who are currently employed with jobs at the time of applying for the program) are both eligible to apply for this scholarship if you are going to be enrolled in September 2022
- have a strong will to serve in their home country as a future career plan.
- have a deep understanding of international friendship and goodwill, and must attend the events organized by the foundation and take part in the network as an alumni member
- must be able to carry an everyday conversation in Japanese. Interviews (after submission) will be conducted in Japanese
- must start the PhD course by the age of 35 and master’s program by the age of 30 (No exception).
- must be enrolled in a programme longer than 12 months.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
- The period of the scholarship for the recipient is set in accordance with the shortest period of
time required to complete the intended degree.
– ¥200,000 per month for 1 year or 2 years
– ¥180,000 per month for 3 years
– ¥150,000 per month for 4 years or 5 years
* The payment period cannot be changed once it commenced.
* Those whose enrollment period is shorter than one year are not eligible to apply.
- The travel grant to cover the expenses to attend an international conference will be provided to scholarship recipients, based on the scholarship provision rules.
This are Required Documents
To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- Academic transcript (In Japanese or English; please attach a translation in case of other
- Research Proposal: Use the designated template and write in Japanese language. The
template of the MS Word file is available here. Your proposal should describe: What you are going to research, What and how you are going to contribute to your home country based on what you will learn or study in Japan, What you already achieved regarding research, academic, and social activity
- A recommendation letter from a supervisor:
- Documents that prove admission, such as an admission letter, a letter of acceptance,
etc. Please upload the certificate of enrollment only if the student is already enrolled in the
All applications are submitted via the the online application system. All the indication in the online application system are both in English and Japanese. Auto-translation system installed in your device may disturb the online application system’s functions. Further details are attached here.